Thursday, February 10, 2011

Greg Giraldo Memorial Benefit: A Night of Laughs and Memories

Greg Giraldo Memorial Benefit:
Beacon Theater, NYC.
2/9/11

Ten notable comics gathered last night to honor the memory of their fellow comic and friend, the late Greg Giraldo. When "Melissa" informed me of this event, I couldn't buy tickets fast enough. And I'm sure glad I did.

The memorial was hosted by The Marriage Ref host Tom Papa -- who killed while transitioning between comics with his own brand of nonchalant humor. On the bill were comics representing almost every stage of Greg's professional and personal life -- from his opening act and roast writer Jesse Joyce to the headliner and comedy legend, Jerry Seinfeld.



The lineup:

Highlights included a solid and hilarious hard-hitting set from Ted Alexandro. If you haven't seen his stuff -- you simply must check him out. And, what's an all-star comedy fest without the brand of uncomfortable and angry comedy only the likes of Jim Norton, Dave Attell and Lewis Black can bring? But the cream of the crop had to be, without a doubt, Jerry Seinfeld. His set consisted of entirely new material, proving he hasn't lost his edge for observational humor and keen standup ability -- even though he rarely tours anymore.

A great night. A great cause. All for a great comic who will sincerely be missed. RIP Greg.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice review. Along with Alexandro and Seinfeld killing, I would say Lewis Black was also in top form. All in all, a nice tribute to Giraldo.

Jen said...

Nicely put.
I am sooo glad I attended. Not only for a great cause, but who can say they have seen ALL of those amazing comedians live?
And the refurbished Beacon Theatre was absolutely gorgeous.
If they have another show like this, I'd love to go again.

Nuray said...

Nice recap. I so would have loved to attend and have my fingers, eyes, arms, and legs crossed that they bring this to LA, giving truth to the rumor I heard...

What a great experience, all the while paying tribute to the Great GG, who went entirely too, too soon.