Friday, July 01, 2005

You Go, Brooke!



...tell that crazy bastard where it's at. In a brave attempt to set the record straight, Brooke Shields published an Op/Ed in today's issue of The New York Times. Below are the snippets having to deal specifically w/TC. If you'd like to read the entire piece, please visit: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/01/opinion/01shields.html?hp&oref=login

"I was hoping it wouldn't come to this, but after Tom Cruise's interview with Matt Lauer on the NBC show "Today" last week, I feel compelled to speak not just for myself but also for the hundreds of thousands of women who have suffered from postpartum depression. While Mr. Cruise says that Mr. Lauer and I do not "understand the history of psychiatry," I'm going to take a wild guess and say that Mr. Cruise has never suffered from postpartum depression....Since writing about my experiences with the disease, I have been approached by many women who have told me their stories and thanked me for opening up about a topic that is often not discussed because of fear, shame or lack of support and information. Experts estimate that one in 10 women suffer, usually in silence, with this treatable disease. We are living in an era of so-called family values, yet because almost all of the postnatal focus is on the baby, mothers are overlooked and left behind to endure what can be very dark times. And comments like those made by Tom Cruise are a disservice to mothers everywhere. To suggest that I was wrong to take drugs to deal with my depression, and that instead I should have taken vitamins and exercised shows an utter lack of understanding about postpartum depression and childbirth in general. If any good can come of Mr. Cruise's ridiculous rant, let's hope that it gives much-needed attention to a serious disease....So, there you have it. It's not the history of psychiatry, but it is my history, personal and real."

4 comments:

KimS said...

I have never thought much about Brooke Shields one way or the other, but she definitely rocks. If this @#$%^&*! wants to spout about psychiatry that's his business, but he has no right to keep dragging her into it. She should just step on him already.

Anonymous said...

Yea, let's take some drugs while baby's supposed to be breast feeding. Good idea.

Johnny

Nicole said...

i'm gonna guess she didn't breast feed. john -- don't you know... all those rich people have wet nurses!

Anonymous said...

What's a wet nurse? They actually hire nurses that have just given birth to nurse their babies? Say it ain't so!

Johnny