Saturday, November 12, 2005

Once in a lifetime...



The 11th Hofstra Presidential Conference: The New Democrat from Hope, President William Jefferson Clinton. November 10th, 2005. Hofstra University: Hempstead, NY.

Anyone who knows me well, knows I have a deep and abiding love for the man I feel was this nation's greatest president, Bill Clinton. That's why I'm so proud that I was able to hear him speak at my alma mater, Hofstra University. (Thank God for Francis... ;)

President Clinton addressed nearly 5,000 students, alumni, faculty, guests and former cabinet members/colleagues at the Hofstra Arena on November 10th. After a brief introduction by former Secretary of State Madeline Albright, Clinton quickly had the crowd enthralled...his command for public speaking is simply remarkable...

He spoke on many subjects, tailoring his speech to those would be politicians in the audience. He detailed his administration's successes and owned up to the mistakes that were made along with things that could have been done somewhat differently. It is rare to hear a politician accept responsibility for their policies and shortcomings (something our current administration is certainly having a hard time doing).

Clinton discussed his impeachment, in a now famous and much bandied about statement...which I will refrain from discussing here, since I feel "My bobby" has suffered enough on this topic. By the end of the speech, Clinton had stirred the crowd to a frothy mixture of hope, pride and excitement. I was absolutely buoyed up by the idea I had just witnessed a once in a lifetime privilege. Something I will always be thankful for and look back on with extreme pleasure.

Post speech, Clinton was awarded and honorary doctorate in Humane Letters by Hofstra's president. After which, there was some mulling around on the stage. What happened next, no one could have expected, especially since the secret service was in such great force. Clinton began walking down the steps of the platform and headed for the crowd. "The president's going to shake some hands," said a voice from the microphone. I knew one thing, and one thing only -- I HAD to get down there...

But, as I was in the first level of elevated seats, the security guards were not allowing anyone floor access. Keeping an eye on the progress down on the floor, I managed to work my way thru the throng of people, raced down the steps to the first floor, ran out onto the floor sections and to the crowd of people Clinton was shaking hands with. He was almost near the exit by the time I arrived...and I managed only to get 3-4 people deep from him... Although I didn't get to shake his hand, I did get to see him up close -- and, can I just say, the man is stunning. My Bubba love has only deepened.

*Sigh* It was a good night. :) --n

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is awesome! That's a cool experience. Got to see his Mrs. talk at Stony Brook (was never really into her but i was still cool). I also got to see Brown (was it Jerry?) speak. When he tried to leave the stage everyone rushed it to try to touch him, shake his hand, whatever... next thing I know he's running as fast as he can down the campus and bodyguards are trying to stop all the people rushing. I was on crutches (broken ft) thinking 2 things: 1) I can't believe my high-school English teacher is smokind a joint about 20 ft away from me, 2) Why the hell is everyone running after him? Well, as I went to school there and knew the campus well I went around so as to beat the crowds that were being held back so that Brown can escape. On my way to my car I decided to go into one of the buildings to use the rest room. I walk in from a side door and who do I run to? Brown! None of his bodyguards are even around. I said something clever like "how's it going?" His response? "What the hell is wrong with all these people?"

Anyway, sorry so long, just thought I'd give ya my brush with political fame story :)

Johnny

Nicole said...

that is so friggin' funny... jerry brown ran for president, but considering the ny response -- maybe he should have run for governor? lol. cool story!