Monday, April 13, 2009

Wow.

Just watched the tail end of Marlee Matlin on Larry King Live... stunned to hear that she was in an abusive relationship with William Hurt, who hasn't issued a response regarding her tell-all memoir. Just wow:

Matlin chronicles what she claims happened with Hurt that night and the alleged abuse she suffered at the hands of the actor. “I was afraid. I was always afraid… of him,” Matlin told Access Hollywood’s Nancy O’Dell. “But I loved him. I did. Or maybe I thought I did. But look, I was 19, he was 35.”... “I always had fresh bruises everyday,” the actress revealed. “And if I had a split lip, or if… I mean, there were a lot of things that happened that were not pleasant.” In her new book, Matlin recounts one of the couple’s fights, where she claims Hurt threw her on the bed and ripped off her clothes while she sobbed, “No, no, no. Please Bill, no.” “Did you ever thing about filing charges against him?” Nancy asked. “No, not at the time. ...“I could say that I understand how women are afraid to leave an abusive relationship,” she continued. “They should, but at the same time, I understand how they don’t know how.” [access hollywood]

You know, I always found something smug and off putting about Hurt. I could never put my finger on it. I guess now I get it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow is right. I remember liking them together back in the day, this makes me sad. But hey, at least she got out. And got out alive. Are you paying attention, Rihanna?
~Jen

Unknown said...

I'm glad she's speaking out about it...especially about her understanding of how hard it is to leave. She's been there, and she's not passing judgment. She just scored like a bazillion points, in my book.