Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Joan and Melissa Take on Oscar...


It's a three-way you won't want to miss... ;)

Joan: Well, Melissa…The 78th Annual Academy Award nominations came in bright and early this morning. And it seems the Academy has made some very political choices. Beginning with the choices for Best Actor. I have a feeling the race for this title is going to be between Philip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix. As good as Strathairn was, I don’t think he stands a chance here. An obvious oversight on the Academy’s part, is neglecting to nominate Ralph Fiennes for his role in The Constant Gardener. For the life of me, I can’t understand why he’s been ignored for that performance. Melis?

Melissa: I haven’t seen any of the movies in the Actor category but just judging on what I was most interested in seeing and what I’ve heard from people who have seen these movies, my vote goes to Joaquin. He sang himself and supposedly really embodied Johnny Cash to a tee. I do like Hoffman as well, anything I’ve seen him in, I’ve enjoyed. So between the two of them, I’m cool. Has Hoffman ever been nominated before?

Joan: I think Hoffman may have been nominated for Flawless, but I could be wrong. He’s consistent, and deserves the award for his body of work. Joaquin is one of the most promising actors of this generation and I think he will only get better. On to Actor in a Supporting Role… I think this may be Paul Giamatti’s year. His Sideways performance earned his such tremendous respect in the film community…so this might be a gimme. And, I never thought the day would come that Matt Dillon’s name would be attached to the word Oscar. Odd. Have you seen Crash?

Melissa: No, I haven’t seen Crash but am going to definitely rent it soon. I know what you mean about Matt Dillon. He looks like he’s matured and gotten serious about his acting. So he may very well deserve it. I also vote for Paul. I haven’t seen Sideways nor Cinderella Man but there’s something about him I really like. And I know he got snubbed for Sideways so let him take the Oscar home!

Best Actress… I think Reese will take it since she’s taken every award so far in that category. Good for her… she went from Legally Blonde to being an Oscar nominee and to winning a crapload of awards. And I commend her on doing her own singing. Why, why, why is Keira Knightley nominated?

Joan: I wish I knew why Knightley garners so much attention. I don’t think she’s special… As much as Reese rubs me the wrong way, she’ll most likely take this home. Should an upset occur, I think Felicity Huffman will cause it. Other than that, it’s safe to say Reese will win.

Supporting Actress will most likely be Rachel Weisz. She’s taken home the Globe and the SAG award for this role, so I don’t see why she won’t win the Oscar. Long shot would be Amy Adams. Why Michelle Williams earned the nod -- I can’t figure out. It wasn’t that special of a role and her performance was just OK. Melis?

Melissa: I didn’t see Brokeback nor do I plan on seeing it, but I just cannot imagine how good Michelle William’s acting would have be in order for her to get the Oscar. She’s been nominated in the Golden Globes and SAGs, too, so how can she go from Dawson’s Creek to this?!?!? I didn’t see Capote but I just love Catherine Keener, but I don’t think she has a chance. Rachel Weisz will most likely take it, as she’s won every other award leading up to the Oscars.

Best motion picture… Again, I haven’t seen a single one. And I know there’s been endless hype around Brokeback… until the SAGs when it didn’t win as much as people thought it was going to. I think it’s safe to say that Good Night and Good Luck and Munich are out of the running. It’ll be a close one between Brokeback, Crash, and Capote. I’ll go with my gut feeling and say Crash (although I’m probably wrong).

Joan: Well, if Crash wins, it would shock for sure. You’re right about Brokeback losing some steam at the SAGs. That may be because the SAGs are chosen by actors and not other member of the Hollywood community. I’m hoping, this year, the Academy will make a political statement…so if either Brokeback, Munich or Good Night, and Good Luck should win, I’ll be content.

I still think Brokeback will pull forward and take the statue home. I saw Broke back a couple of weeks ago, and I wasn’t as impressed as I thought I would be. Ang Lee’s direction is, as always, amazing. And it’s a beautiful film to look at. At times, the performances were captivating, but overall, there were some plot flaws that brought me out of the film and to me, that’s a major discredit.

Well, we shall see how it all goes down on March 5th! Stay tuned, y'all!
--J & M.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let's see Crash, it looks cool!

Johnny