Sunday, December 31, 2006

J&M's two-cents on the Golden Globe nominations

Joan: Wow, that year flew by. I can’t believe it’s time for the Golden Globes again. Melissa and I will be donning our finery on the red carpet, though it won’t really matter – cause no one will be able to see us in that tiny box in the right hand corner of the TV Guide channel.

Melissa: I hate all the fuckers at E! so they can kiss my plastic ass. Anyhoo, moving along... Best Motion Picture-Drama... I have to admit I haven’t seen any of them! But I wanted to see a couple of them: Babel and Little Children. I am so intrigued by the plot of Babel and I read the book Little Children last year. While I didn’t like the book, I was surprised and curious when I heard they were making a movie out of it and with Kate Winslet, no less, who I love. So if either win, I’m cool.


Joan: I’m surprised by the choices here... I think The Departed is a little lost among the other nominees. I saw Bobby, and while I agree it was time for a film on RFK, Bobby wasn’t "great." I get what Emilio was trying to do, and in some sense he succeeded. But, it could have been more about Bobby as a person, as a figure, as an influence. And the message could have been deeper. I think either Little Children or The Queen will take it home.

Moving on to Best Actress/Drama. Cruz is getting a lot of buzz for Volver. But this will be a tight race between the brits: Mirren, Dench and Winslet.

Melissa: Again, wanted to see a couple of these: Volver and Sherrybaby. Read an article on Notes on a Scandal yesterday and now am greatly intrigued by that one too. Hmm…if I had to guess, I’d say Mirren.

For Best Actor/Drama, given that DiCaprio has two nominations in the category, the board must have been very impressed. I certainly hope Will Smith doesn’t take it cause frankly, this man annoys the living shit out of me. I really want to see The Last King of Scotland and I’ve heard that Forest’s take on Idi Amin was uncanny and Oscar-worthy. I’d like to see him win it.

Joan: It’s all but unheard of for one actor to be nominated for two roles in the same category. That along should make DiCaprio feel like a winner. I think this is Will Smith’s win... sorry, Melis. And I think the Oscar looks good for him, too. He didn’t win for Ali, and the panels will be trying to make it up to him with Happyness.


I’ve always loved that the Globes have a separate category for Comedy – and Oscar should have followed suit long ago. I think it’s going to be tight between Little Miss Sunshine and Dreamgirls. Because Dreamgirls is a musical, it might win, since the Globes like to recognize the genre. But, I’m torn between picking a real winner here.

Melissa: Dreamgirls... puke, you know how I feel about musicals. Still haven’t seen Chicago cause I can’t stand song and dance numbers. Anyway, I want Little Miss Sunshine to win. This film has really taken a place in my heart. So adorable.


I’m not sure who will win best actress/Musical or comedy. I’ve heard buzz that Meryl was divine in The Devil Wears Prada, but I haven’t seen it, got it for Xmas and will see it soon. I would like Toni Collette to win cause I want Little Miss Sunshine to win as many as it can but I don’t think she really has a chance.

Joan: I saw Scissors and I think there’s a good chance Annette Benning will wiin. It was a meaty role... with a lot of chances for her to really ham it up. But I’d like either Toni or Meryl to win.

Actor in Comedy – can I say that I can’t believe Borat is in the running??? Holy crap. I’m rooting for Ferrell – cause I love him to death. But I think it’s going to Depp.

Melissa: You know I luuuurve Ferrell as well but the movie didn’t get that much publicity so I don’t know if he’ll win it. Although Borat was really popular, I don’t think the board will vote for Cohen, I think they threw him in there more as a honorable mention. You’re right, I think Depp might win it cause of the incredible franchise the Pirate movies have become. And as much as I love Depp, I’m soooo over the Pirate movies.

For Best Supporting Actress I’m think Cate. I’ve been reading a lot of stuff about her lately and she’s getting tons of praise, both for her current films and her whole career in general. Some say she’s not used as much as she should be and that she needs more recognition, etc. I think she’s a great actress. Has she won for anything so far? Maybe this will be her year.

Joan: Cate won early on for her role in Elizabeth. She’s managed to keep on getting good roles… Since most of the other gals in this category are newcomers or unknowns, Cate will most likely win... even though the film is not the same caliber of her previous roles.

Supporting Actor: How the fuck did Affleck get the nod? WTF? While I think this is going to Jack – don’t be too surprised if Eddie pull this one out – I heard he’s kicking ass in Dreamgirls... and I doubt he’ll make it to Oscar, so this might be the only chance the industry gets to recognize his performance.

Melissa: For Supporting Actor, I’m gonna say Brad, just cuz.


For Best Director, I haven’t seen any of the films but I’ll say Scorsese. Supposedly The Departed was really good.

Joan: Jeez... what’s with the globes this year, they can’t find 5 different people to nominate? I’m sensing a trend. I agree. Scorcese.

TV Drama: I’m partial to Grey’s, but I don’t know if it can pull it out this year. Though last season was killer. I cannot believe Big Love was nominated. What a piece of trash that is. Heroes has a huge following, but I’m not sure the judges like it THAT much... and Lost... I dunno... last season wasn’t all that terrific. I’m stumped.


Melissa: Don’t watch Grey’s, 24, Big Love, and Heroes. However, love LOST, I want it to win although I don’t think it will. Heroes is too new to win, I think. Big Love, because it’s on HBO, has a limited viewership, I don’t have HBO so I’ve never seen it. I’ve never seen 24 in all the season’s it’s been on but I’ve heard that it’s never lost its oomph, that it is still as good now as it was when it first started. So I’m gonna go with 24.

Best Actress in TV Drama series, I of course want Kate to win but I feel that LOST doesn’t have the presence this year as it had last year. Didn’t Patricia win it last year? How weird, never in a million years would I have thought Medium to have a following. I’m gonna say Ellen although I can’t stand her mousy face.

Joan: I think Patricia did win... or was it Sandra Oh? I dunno. If Edie Falco wins, I will lose it. Enough w/The Sopranos already. Sheesh. I’m stumped here, too...

TV Actor/Drama: I think it will be Hugh Laurie this year... Or Patrick Dempsey. I don’t think Keifer can pull it out again. WTF Bill Paxton? Perhaps the worst actor on the planet???

Melissa: I’m for Hugh Laurie BIGTIME. LOVE him on House.

Best TV series, Musical or Comedy, I love Ugly Betty but I just don’t think it’s awards material. I would be so incredibly happy with a win for The Office.

Joan: Yeah, I’m seeing an Office win here, too. I don’t think the others stand a chance.

TV Actress/Comedy: I bet America wins for this... while the show might not be able to take it home, she might. I don’t see Julia winning, since she got one last year and everyone’s so over Housewives...

Melissa: I agree with the America thing. She’s been all over, on Oprah with Salma and Salma was going on and on and on about how great America is, etc. Plus she really does do Betty very well and is a darling. You really do get to love her on the show. Everyone is over Housewives, no one cares anymore.

Best Actor/Comedy: Hands-down: STEVE FUCKING CARELL. If he doesn’t win, then there are no words...


Joan: Yeah, it’s Carell hands down. Tony Shaloub can’t do it again, can he? Sheesh. Friggin Monk.

Well, Melis, I’ll see you on the red carpet. Be sure to pretty yourself up and save some Botox for me.

Melissa: WHO IS WATCHING MONK?!?!?!? Never have I seen, never have I even desired to see it. I hope Shaloub doesn’t win. And no problem, I’ll get the doc to bring some extra Botox since you seem like you can never get enough. Just make sure you can still emote on the red carpet. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

did they happen already? i hope house and lost won a lot of stuff, and little miss sunshine too. i hope the devil wears prada comes in last place... well, maybe not last, maybe second to last with the musical last just so that people'll stop making musicals.

johnny