Wednesday, December 14, 2005

J & M on the Golden Globe Nominations, Part I


12/13/05 saw the official announcement of the 2005 Golden Globe nominations. For a full list of nominees, visit the GG site. Now without further ado, Joan and Melissa wax philosophical on the latest selection of Hollywood nods...

Joan: The 2005 Golden Globe nominations came in this morning, and the picks are somewhat surprising. Melissa, what are your thoughts on the Best Picture Drama nods?

Melissa: I’ve only seen A History of Violence, which was really good. Haven’t seen the others. I think Match Point isn’t even out in the general market yet, I think the premier just happened a few days ago. Brokeback just seems so self-indulgent. I prob won’t see it. I really wanted to see The Constant Gardener but never did. I heard mixed reviews from people who have seen it. Have no interest in Good Night… How about you, Joan?

Joan: Well, being the political junkie I am, I did rush out to see Good Night and Good Luck. It’s not your average film, and I agree it could have been better. But, it was directed well and the lead performance was uncanny for its depiction of Murrow. Match Point is getting a lot of good buzz, and I’m an Allen fan so I will try to see this before the awards. As the weeks have gone by, my interest in Brokeback has increased. I’m definitely going to see it after the landslide of nominations. My curiosity is fully piqued. I’m not a Cronenberg fan, so I might skill Violence. As much as I love Viggo… I saw Gardener – it’s a hard film to watch, but really poignant and important.

Moving on: Best actress is a bit shocking, huh?

Melissa: Again, the only one I’ve seen is History, and Maria Bello was very good in it. She really nailed the role of a wife who finds out all these disturbing things about her husband really well. And I must add, the sex scenes between her and Viggo were Unfaithful quality, à la Olivier Martinez and Diane Lane. Holy smokes! I haven’t seen the others, but I know people who’ve seen North Country and said Charlize did a good job although her gorgeousness still came through the mining, blue collar worker she was supposed to be. That was distracting, some people said. I love Gwennie and she’s pretty consistent and I have great interest in Proof. Memoirs is supposed to be epic and I’m sure the beauty and poise of Zhang Ziyi will be breathtaking. What do you think, Joan?

Joan: Don’t get me started on Unfaithful, thinking about it makes me need a cigarette. So, Charlize didn’t ugly herself up enough for an Oscar nod, you think? She probably figures one hag is enough for my career. I missed Proof. It was gone so quick… maybe it will be on DVD pre-Oscar. But she is wonderful, and I sure this role is no exception. I’m surprised by the Maria Bello nod, only because she’s been in so few notable films. There hasn’t been a lot of buzz about her before or after Violence. She must have been quite good. I heard that Memoirs is beautiful to look at, but really very boring. I still want to give it a try.

Moving on the Best Actor Drama… Ron Howard was really determined to snag that nod for Russell Crowe, by re-releasing Cinderella Man. I don’t think this is enough to earn him the Globe, though. I think the award will most likely go to Hoffman (long overdue) or Strathain. Melis?

Melissa: Again, I haven’t seen any of the films for Best Actor Drama category! Russell is probably a safe bet, we all know he can act and from what I’ve heard, Cinderella Man was great. I didn’t see it though. I just don’t like films involving sports, especially boxing and football. Hoffman is consistent and a co-worker of mine saw Capote, said he did a good job with it. But I have no idea myself. Heath is way, way too young to win. He still needs to prove himself even if his performance in Brokeback is good. I have no idea who the other two from Hustle & Flow and Good Night are. Unfortunately, I’m not much help in this category.

How about your pick for Best Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy? I think Walk the Line will take it, especially with Cash and June Carter’s deaths within the last year. But again, I haven’t seen any of the nominees. I’m so sick of hearing about The Producers. I know, I know you love it, but I’m just so sick of all the buzz. Ok, ok, I get it…Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick, blah, blah, blah… I hate period pieces (Pride & Prejudice) and I’ve never heard of Mrs. Henderson Presents.

Joan: Pish Paw, Melissa! Have I not raised you to love thy comedian! Anything Mel Brooks is OK in my book. A lot of people are having trouble w/this film version though… Not since the early days of the Hollywood has the musical been translated or perceived well by audiences. I can’t wait to see The Producers, and I’m biased – so I’m sure I’ll love it. I love period pieces, but I’ve no desire to see either of these. And Kiera Knightly rubs me the wrong way. I don’t know why. I just want to smack her. I think you’re right – Walk the Line will win this category. Hands down.

Now, for Best Actress Comedy/Musical…I’m shocked by the Sarah Jessica Parker nod. The Globes LOVE her; this is the only explanation. I like her work, too… but come on now… Her and not Diane Keaton? Odd. And Laura Linney could take a dump on film, she’d still get a nomination. Enough already. I think Reese will win, and she’s another one I can’t stand… I don’t like perky. Although I heard she does a fine job. Melissa?

Melissa: Judi Dench is always up there, and is she like the Susan Lucci of the Globes? I’m not sure if she’s won or has been snubbed, but if she’s been snubbed in recent years, they may give it to her cause she’s older and has had a quality career in film. Sarah, in no way, shape or form, should win this. I did hear The Family Stone is good, but she needs more experience in film. She rocked it in Sex and the City, but hasn’t done anything worthwhile on the big screen. Keira is ok, I can see how you would want to slap her. It’s something with her jaw and teeth and the way she bears them. But Pride has been done and done again. What’s the need? It’s a waste of space in this category. I’m afraid Reese, although she should get it, may be overlooked cause I’m not sure the stuffy suits can see beyond her Legally Blonde roles.

Best Actor…hands-down Johnny Depp needs a freakin’ award already! The man has proven himself time and time again. He so deserves it. What else does he need to do to win something?!!? Cillian has no chance. I’m so sick of Pierce. God forbid, Nathan should win. That shrill and over-dramatic acceptance speech will force me to shut off the tube. Johnny’s only competition in this category is Joaquin, who is also solid and consistent and intense. What do you think, Joan?

Joan: Alas, I think Johnny may go home award-less yet again. This one goes to Joaquin, for sure. Besides, it would be a shame for Johnny to win for Wonka. I thought for sure he’d be nominated for The Libertine – they rush-released it for nothing. Must see that, btw. I’m surprised by the Brosnan nod. I’ve never considered him serious enough to be nominated for anything. But he sure is fun to look at. Yum.

Now, Supporting Actress Drama … Michelle Williams? Um… did they get that right? Is Pacey nominated in the Supporting Actor category? What the shiz is going on here??? I’d put my money on Shirley or Frances. Even though Rachel Weisz has a chance, and was quite good. I don’t think she’ll pull through. Melis?

Melissa: Scarlett may be a contender seeing as how Lost in Translation got so much buzz, but I don’t think Match Point has the time to garner enough buzz for her. Shirley may be overlooked cause who’s seen In Her Shoes?!!?!?! Michelle isn’t taken seriously enough due to Dawson’s Creek although I’ve heard her performance is flawless. I’m thinking Frances McDermond is gonna get it. North Country got tons of buzz and great reviews and Frances is just a solid actress.

Best supporting actor…I’m so sick of George Clooney this, George Clooney that. I never thought he was anything great. NEXT! I adore Will Farrell but again, I don’t think the committee will take him seriously enough for him to win. Bob Hoskins doesn’t appeal to me. Matt Dillion…he’s still around?!?! I think Paul Giamatti’s gonna get it cause he’s good, proved that in Sideways AND got snubbed for Sideways. He’s overdue. And you, Joan?

Joan: Well, I hope you’re right and that Giamatti gets it. He’s so amazing. There are few actors of this caliber. (Speaking of fine actors: I’m surprised that Ralph Fiennes was not nominated for Gardener. That’s a huge oversight.) Clooney gained a lot of weight for Syriana, and for some reason this tends to impress people. I still think Giamatti will win.

The Best Director fight will be between Ang Lee and Speilberg, ultimately Speilberg will win the match. If Woody wins, I will fall off my chair. And I doubt Allen will be nominated for the Oscar – he’s got that Polanski-like stain on him. In your eyes, who will take the award home, Melis?

Melissa: Peter Jackson is great, as we saw with the Lord of the Rings flicks. I keep hearing amazing reviews of King Kong, which I was not expecting AT ALL. I have no interest in seeing it though. But Peter did sweep all the categories with the LOTR so they may not choose him to win this year. Woody is too quiet in a category where he’s up against Speilberg and Jackson types. George Clooney definitely won’t win as a director. I agree, it’ll be down to Ang Lee and Speilberg, and we all know who the big dawg is.

...continued in next post...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Charlize should win everything 'cause she's hot.

Johnny