Wednesday, December 14, 2005

J & M on the Golden Globe Nominations, Part II


...continued from last post...

[Left: Mark Wahlberg, Kate Beckinsale and Steve Carell with HFPA President Philip Berk at the 63rd Golden Globe Awards Nominations Announcement Courtesy Getty Images]

Melissa: Now onto to the TV categories: Best show…you know my pick. Hands freakin’ down: LOST! If this show doesn’t win, I’m turning off my TV. Joan?

Joan: I think Lost will win, no doubt. The others really don’t stand a chance, pardon the pun. And are they serious w/the Commander in Chief bit??? It also got best actress, which will probably go to Arquette, based on the Emmy showing. Still, I think she’s crap. Melis?

Melissa: Best Actress…geez, I don’t watch any of these shows so I have no idea. Like you said, Arquette based on the Emmy. Best Actor…I so, so, so want it to be Matthew for LOST, cause there really isn’t any other answer, but I’m so afraid he won’t win. If he doesn’t then I’m thinking it’s probably going to be between Keifer and Hugh Laurie. House is a great show and Keifer’s been around forever doing 24, which I’ve never even seen an episode of but people and the critics love it. Wentworth is super-hot but he’s new to the race and won’t win. Your picks, Joan?

Joan: I agree with you. Fox was a nice surprise, but he won’t win. I have a feeling it’s a toss-up between Sutherland and Dempsey. I’ve watched Grey’s Anatomy a few times, and I’m not impressed.

There are some very odd choices for Best TV Series: Comedy… Namely, Everybody Hates Chris??? Has anyone seen it? Does anyone care? If Chris Rock isn’t in it, I ain’t watching it. This will go to Housewives or Curb. I doubt there will be much of a contest between the others. Melis?

Melissa: Right on about Everybody Hates Chris, if Rock ain’t on it, I don’t care to watch it. I’m blown away that it’s a nominee. Were they reaching when they selected it??? I’ve never heard of Weeds and no one I know has ever uttered the name, so I’m assuming a lot more people haven’t heard of it as well. Curb is critically acclaimed although I’ve never seen it myself. Plus the Seinfeld connection. It stands a good chance. Entourage is loved by all who have seen, I’ve never seen it. but HBO shows tend to do really well with the award shows. My Name is Earl is bad, bad, baaaaad. I’ve seen a bunch of episodes cause I love Jason Lee and the premise sounded good, but it’s bad and getting worse. So no chance of it winning. Desperate Housewives will take probably it, unless Entourage does. Or Curb.

Best Actress in Comedy or Musical…it’s crazy all 4 housewives were nominated. I’ve never even seen one episode or even a part of an episode so I have no way to tell who is the best. I’m thinking maybe Felicity because of the Emmy. But that would also kinda be unfair and not give another housewife a chance. But who knows. Unfortunately the odds are against Mary-Louise, plus again, I’ve never heard of Weeds. Best Actor in Comedy…I would absolutely be giddy if Zach won. I love him! I do also love Steve Carell in what I’ve seen him in other than The Office cause I’ve never seen The Office. But he rocked in The Anchorman. Charlie Sheen and Jason Lee don’t stand a chance. Joan?

Joan: Have you seen 40-yr-old Virgin yet? If not, you must. It’s so friggin’ funny. I must own it on DVD. I think he stands a pretty good chance of taking home the award, since he’s had such a good year. I think it’s most likely between him and Braff, whom I adore. I’m really annoyed by the Best Actress category; I hate when they don’t give other shows the kudos they deserve…and there’s no reason why Eva Longoria deserves a nod; she’s awful. I think it will go to Huffman, twice possibly on award night.

Well, that about does it for me. Closing thoughts, Melissa?

Melissa: Totally agree with the 4 nominations for the Housewives. It’s unnecessary and unfair since they took up 80% of the category. I can’t close till I put in my two cents about the last category: Best performance by an actor in a supporting role in a series, mini-series or motion picture made for television. I would love it if Naveen won for LOST, of course, but I’m afraid he won’t. I don’t think Jeremy Piven stands a chance in the company he’s in. Paul might get it since he’s getting really, really up there in age and they may honor him. But other than those two, I don’t really have a feeling about the others. Joan?

Joan: This is an odd category…quite a mish-mosh. I think it will ultimately go to Newman. And believe it or not, Piven has garnered a lot of respect amongst Hollywood big shots for his role on Entourage. I can’t picture the real estate agent from Grosse Point Blank winning, but stranger things have happened.

Ahh, well, Melissa… another award show, another face lift. Time for that appointment w/Dr. 90210.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My vote's for John Locke!

Johnny