Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Joan and Melissa Get Their Globe On

Melissa and I run down the Golden Globe nominations.
Gossip vicariously through us, won't you?

Best Motion Picture - Drama

Joan: I feel like this is a case of amnesia. These are all new releases. It’s like they forgot about the rest of the year.
Melissa:
Considering all the buzz that Slumdog is getting, I’m putting my bets on that one.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama

Joan: I’m thinking it’s between Kate Winslet and Kristen Scott Thomas, who’s getting huge buzz. She almost exclusively works in French film now. And since this is a foreign panel, she may get preference.
Melissa:
Kate the Great. Plus I’ve heard this movie is amazing.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama

Joan: Wouldn’t it be a hoot if Rourke won? I can’t believe the serious buzz. It better go to Sean Penn.
Melissa:
My pick would be Leo.

Best Motion Picture - Musical Or Comedy

Joan: Did you see In Bruges? I loved it. I can’t believe it’s got three nods. It may end up being the dark horse.
Melissa:
I haven’t seen any of these. But I also know that I don’t want Mamma Mia to win.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy

Joan: This is a toss-up. It could be Frances, Emma, or Meryl.
Melissa:
Doesn’t Meryl win anytime she’s nominated for anything? I’m not even gonna bother and mention anyone else.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical Or Comedy

Joan: I cannot believe Pineapple express got nominated. That is hee-larious.
Melissa:
See, this is what I meant by “reaching.”

Best Performance by an Actress In A Supporting Role in a Motion Picture

Joan: Anyone but Penelope please.
Melissa:
I love Kate Winslet in almost anything she’s in, except for that crap-fest Titanic. I want her to win.

Best Performance by an Actor In A Supporting Role in a Motion Picture

Joan: This is difficult for me. I love RDJ and he was hee-larious in Tropic Thunder. But, it’s not his best role. Nor was Ralph Fiennes’ role in The Duchess. And while the TC cameo was funny, it’s not award material. Come on. So, it should go to Heath Ledger – who was extraordinary in The Dark Knight.
Melissa:
I haven’t seen any of these. Dark Knight is on its way to me and Tropic Thunder is next in my queue. I’ll defer to Joan on this one.

Best Television Series - Drama

Joan: Either Mad Men or House.
Melissa:
HOUSE.

Best Performance by an Actress In A Television Series - Drama

Joan: Mariska or Sally.
Melissa:
Give it to Anna. She’s just a kid.

Best Performance by an Actor In A Television Series - Drama

Joan: This might actually go to Jon Hamm and not Hugh Laurie.
Melissa:
Laurie is a hot 50-year-old man. Sexy mofo who needs to freakin’ win.

Best Television Series - Musical Or Comedy

Joan: 30 Rock… if not, I’m taking names.
Melissa:
I have to go with my absolute fave: The Office.

Best Performance by an Actress In A Television Series - Musical Or Comedy

Joan: TINA!!!!
Melissa:
I agree. I love that girl. And she will most likely win.

Best Performance by an Actor In A Television Series - Musical Or Comedy

Joan: If you saw last week’s 30 Rock, then you know that Alec Baldwin is a funny fuck. And are they serious with the David Duchovny? Why does the GG have a hardon for Duchovny??? Come on. And enough w/Tony Shaloub already.
Melissa
: Funny you should mention hard-on and David Duchovney in the same sentence. My pick is freakin’ Steve Carell.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television

Joan: I really could give a rat’s ass.
Melissa:
I barely know who any of these broads are.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television

Joan: Enough with Piven. Enough with Entourage. I’m over it. Give it to Neil Patrick Harris, who amuses me on a regular basis.
Melissa: I’ve never watched How I Met Your Mother but just based on NPH’s roles in the Harold & Kumar flicks, the man is a god.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope Hugh Laurie, Downey Jr. and Tina Fey win!