Thursday, August 18, 2005

Tori Amos @ Jones Beach 8/17/05

Weather was fab for the beach -- perfect. Tori was alone; no band mates. Just her and 5 gazillion pianos. ;) She had on a long, flowing white Goddess-ensemble (pretty sure that's it in the pic to the left, from thedent.com)--looking very Grecian, w/her red locks loosely tied back. Her hair has grown quite long, so the "costume" was complete. I don't think she ever ages.
She really didn't speak much between
songs,which was a shame -- cause her
stories and anecdotes are so fab.
She did tell one really adorable story
about her daughter. This is not verbatim,
but: "My daughter left us all behind tonight to be hold
court in NYC. She said to me before she left, 'Mommy,
I think it's realllly rotten that you have to be that
piano/singing lady tonite when you could come to see
Beauty & the Beast w/us.' So, I told her, 'Darling, and
who do you think is paying for those tickets?'"

In her "Piano Bar" section, she did two Beatles' covers,
the crowd thought she was taking requests. She quieted
them down and said: "Listen, you're all fucked, cause
I know what I'm doing." Someone yelled out: TOTAL ECLIPSE
OF THE HEART! And she stopped and said: Hmm, now that's
not a bad one. Come to NJ tomorrow and I'll
have it ready." (Something like that...)

For the most part, the set list was all old stuff --
quite a treat. She even did Silent All These Years...
I pulled out a pen and paper from my purse
and scratched down the set list...

ORIGINAL SIN
LITTLE EARTHQUAKES
'MY LITTLE GIRL'??? (seem improvised, and maybe an import.
She did this
right after the story I mentioned above.)
AMBER WAVES
PRETTY GOOD YEAR
MARIANNE
JAMAICA INN (odd, odd version. Nothing like the CD)
COOL ON YOUR ISLAND (beautiful)
WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS
IMAGINE
BARONS OF SUBURBIA
JACKIE'S STRENGTH
LIQUID DIAMONDS
CARBON
THE BEEKEEPER
CLOUD ON MY TONGUE
SILENT ALL THESE YEARS
NEVER SEEN BLUE
HEY JUPITER

--Nicole, aka Joan
Fab review, Nicole! I love that she did Imagine...man, I would love it if she did that at the show I'm going to. I'll be posting my review for the September 14th San Diego show. --Nuray, aka Melissa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice! She's coming to San Diego in the next few weeks. I hope she does the Jethro song!

Johnny