Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Oscar, Oscar, Oscar

The 79th Academy Award nominations came out this morning. Here’s a wrap up, Joan & Melissa style.

Performance by an actor in a leading role

Leonardo DiCaprio - BLOOD DIAMOND
Ryan Gosling - HALF NELSON
Peter O'Toole - VENUS
Will Smith - THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS
Forest Whitaker - THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND

Joan: I’m surprised Ryan Gosling is nominated. It just seems so out of place. I’m going to follow the Globes lead here and say Whitaker will take it home. A month ago, I would have said Will Smith, but I don’t think he stands a chance now.

Melissa: I can’t stand Will Smith. I would also say Forest although I’m surprised Leonardo was nominated for Blood Diamond and not The Departed. Although in The Departed he was more a part of an ensemble cast.

Performance by an actor in a supporting role

Alan Arkin - LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
Jackie Earle Haley - LITTLE CHILDREN
Djimon Hounsou - BLOOD DIAMOND
Eddie Murphy - DREAMGIRLS
Mark Wahlberg - THE DEPARTED

Melissa: I’d love to see Alan Arkin win it since aside from Olive, his character was one of my favorites. But I doubt he will. I don’t even know who Jackie Earle Haley is. I would venture to guess Eddie Murphy since he won the Golden Globe.

Joan: I’d love to see Arkin win, too. You never know, he might cause an upset. I think everyone, including Eddie, is expecting Eddie to win.

Performance by an actress in a leading role

Penélope Cruz - VOLVER
Judi Dench - NOTES ON A SCANDAL
Helen Mirren - THE QUEEN
Meryl Streep - THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA
Kate Winslet - LITTLE CHILDREN

Joan: It’s definitely going to Helen. If not, I’ll shit myself.

Melissa: Yeah, Helen it is. She won the Globe so it would be fitting she wins this. But how awesome would it be if Kate or Penelope won? What an accomplishment at such young ages!

Performance by an actress in a supporting role

Adriana Barraza - BABEL
Cate Blanchett - NOTES ON A SCANDAL
Abigail Breslin - LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
Jennifer Hudson - DREAMGIRLS
Rinko Kikuchi - BABEL

Melissa: Well, Hudson got the nomination but I highly doubt she will win considering Cate Blanchett is in there. I think she’ll win it unless any of the other actresses cause a serious upset. Oh, I love that Abigail got nominated. Aww!

Joan: Frankly, I hate when kids get nominated… it seems such a waste. They have their entire careers ahead of them. There should be a separate category. You’d think they woulda thought of this already. Since Cate already won, I’m holding out hope for Jennifer.

Achievement in directing

BABEL
THE DEPARTED
LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA
THE QUEEN
UNITED 93

Joan: I realllllly hope Clint Eastwood doesn’t get it. I’m hoping for a Scorcese win.

Melissa: I think Scorcese will get it. I keep reading about how he’s been nominated all these years and has never won. I’m sure this year they will give it to him. Plus he’s getting up there in age so before it’s too late…

Best motion picture of the year

BABEL
THE DEPARTED
LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA
LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
THE QUEEN
NOTES ON A SCANDAL

Melissa: This is tough for me to judge since I haven’t seen any of them except for Little Miss Sunshine, which I totally adore. But considering all the buzz around The Queen and Mirren’s Globe win, it might very well win it. Babel won the Globe but I get the feeling the old crusties on the Oscar board will vote for The Queen.

Joan: I think Babel might win. I’m surprised The Departed made it, and Little Miss Sunshine and Notes on a Scandal. I have to say, this is a boring year. And I’m guessing the ceremony will be, too. Let’s hope the fashions don’t disappoint.

Melissa: Amen, me too. Let’s hope these stars get their shit together cause the Globes were a big, huge letdown in the Red Carpet category. Till then…get your Botox on!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i hope little miss sunshine and their cast win everything they're up for... haven't seen babel but it's supposed to be pretty good.

anybody seen it?

johnny