Sunday, May 28, 2006

LOST Finale Musings, Part 3.


Regarding Locke and Eko:

Joan: It was rumored that one character would die in the finale. I suppose we’ll find out who in the season opener… but, could it be Locke of Eko? I hope it’s neither, since both characters are integral and supply a good deal to the plotline. Regarding Eko’s spirituality – I was thinking maybe religion will come into play more next season. They bring up fate and faith way too much for it not to. Then again, the entire thing could just be a Truman Show type deal…

Melissa: If it turns out to be a Truman Show type deal, I’ll be pissed. Anyway, it was interesting that Eko told Locke, you cannot tell me what I can’t do. Just like Locke had been going around saying that prior to the plane crash when he was still in a wheelchair. That moment when Locke looks at Eko and says, I was wrong, my insides fell to pieces. How mind-boggling is all this???

Joan: Mind-boggling for sure. I hope those bastard writers have a plan. They say they do, but sometimes I think they’re making it up as they go along.

Regarding Sayid, Sun and Jin:

Joan: OK, what the fuck is with the statue they saw from the shore? What the fuck is with the four toes? I just heard that someone is reporting that the Others only have four toes. How anyone was able to learn that is blowing my mind.

Melissa: I heard that you see fake Henry’s foot at some point, so since I still have it on my DVR, you bet I’m gonna go back and rewatch. Yeah, that statue is creepy! Bet you that is Alvar Hanso, the father of this whole thing. And check this; someone posted an excerpt that’s relevant to this:

Headlong Hall by Thomas Love Peacock

“’The place is quite a wilderness,’ said Squire Headlong: ‘for, during the latter part of my father's life, while I was finishing my education, he troubled himself about nothing but the cellar, and suffered everything else to go to rack and ruin. A mere wilderness, as you see, even now in December; but in summer a complete nursery of briers, a forest of thistles, a plantation of nettles, without any livestock but goats, that have eaten up all the bark of the trees. Here you see is the pedestal of a statue, with only half a leg and four toes remaining: there were many here once.’”

Joan: Holy S! It’s too much of a coincidence to not be plot-driven. The statue on the Lost island, however, didn’t appear to have one toe missing – as the excerpt above suggests. Still, the comparison is creepy. “I don’t know what’s more disquieting: The fact that there’s a statue or that it only has four toes.”—Sayid. You said it, mister. Don't know why, but I can't get The Colossus of Rhodes (one of the 7 wonders of the world) out of my head since seeing the finale. It might not have any connection whatsoever, but you never know...

To you, O Sun, the people of Dorian Rhodes set up this bronze statue reaching to Olympus when they had pacified the waves of war and crowned their city with the spoils taken from the enemy. Not only over the seas but also on land did they kindle the lovely torch of freedom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you guys find all this stuff? Wonder if the medical experiments 'cause some sort of 4 digit mutation? Anybody catch a glimpse of Clare's baby's toes?

Johnny

Anonymous said...

oooh, john. good thinking. --n