Thursday, August 24, 2006

Plus and Proud

For those of you who haven't been watching Project Runway, do... it's fab. I've gotten seriously hooked this season. But something was said last week that didn't sit well with me, and I wondered if I was being too sensitive. One of the contestants made an ill-fitting dress that made the model look larger than she really was. Heidi Klum said that the dress made the model look 'plus sized' and then followed that with something to the effect of: looks horrible. Taken in conjunction, that sends a bad message. And being plus-sized myself, I was taken aback momentarily. I thought it was poor taste to air such opinions on a show that has such a large viewership.

But, I got over it. It's just a fact of life. The majority of the women in this country are a size 14 or over -- yet we live in a world that is dictated by the size 10's and below. But, I have to say, in Heidi's defense (maybe I'm being naive, but I have a hard time believing she'd be this stupid and she seems like she doesn't have a mean bone in her body) -- I think her comments were meant to be taken separately and not in conjunction. The outfit was ill-fitting, and it did make the model look larger than she was... and it did look horrible. Bear in mind, the contestants were creating garments made out of recyclable/non-fabric items. So, I think, this time... we big girls need to, as Melis would say, "simma down now".

Kathy Najimy isn't backing off though:
Kathy Najimy won't be watching "Project Runway" anymore. The former "Veronica's Closet" star is upset with "dangerous" comments made by Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn on last week's episode pertaining to plus-size women. Kathy took particular issue with Gunn calling one of the runway models "zaftig" (pleasantly plump) and Heidi's comment that an outfit made a model look plus-size, which Najimy believes implied that plus-size was "the ultimate of horrors." [tmz]
Here is the picture, judge for yourself:

5 comments:

Nuray said...

Who Mama Bazoom?

Nicole said...

lol, meri -- you're killing me.

meri is a skank i work with.

Anonymous said...

That chick does not look "zaftig" she just looks like ass because the dress looks like a wrinkly banana. And yes mama bazoom, the "hair" bow is quite shitalicious.

Nicole said...

shitalicious...
lol.
nice allison.

Anonymous said...

i saw the show and i think she was trying to say that the dress made a size 2 model look like she was a size 16 and that's normally not something a designer's supposed to do or that women are really gonna look for in a dress. that being said, i don't discriminate, i love all of ya girls equally ;)

johnny