Thursday, December 13, 2007

Upcoming Globes May Be Affected by Writers' Strike


It's a shame, but striking writers and those who support their agenda may not be attending the upcoming Golden Globes (if the strike is still in effect). Even though the Globes are celebrating the achievements of the entertainment industry pre-strike, attendance is still technically considered crossing the picket line. They gotta do what they gotta do, yo. But I'm sure gonna miss the red carpet. :(

Rumor has it that the strike may last well into the spring. Shows like 24 have decided to suspend filming/airing until they can air an entire season uninterrupted. (Which is great for Keifer Sutherland since he's in the clink.) Some Late Night talk shows have been paying their staffs out of their own pockets (namely Letterman, O'Brien and Leno).

You know, they don't want much -- and that's the irony of the whole thing. Yet these corporate leeches have no real desire to comply and end this thing swiftly. I guess they think they're gonna take it with them when the shuffle off this mortal coil. Bastards.

Here's a compiling of what some celebs have had to say:

"I'm not crossing the picket line, not unless I'm contractually obliged to do, which, for the Golden Globes, I'm not."--Katherine Heigl

“It would be very hard for me to cross a WGA picket line. Everybody will have the same problem. It’s very unfornuate and an issue that won’t go away."
--David Cronenberg

“I would never cross a picket line.”
--Glenn Close

"I don’t know about whether or not I'll be attending because to be honest with you, I don’t know a lot about the rules and limitations of what is happening. I need to look into it. Writers are kind of these unsung heroes. People don’t see how much these guys work and they're just trying to cover their bases for themselves and for the future. I hope they get what they deserve and I'll do anything I can to help that."
--Jeremy Piven


2 comments:

Unknown said...

i'm gonna call snl, see if they need some scabs.

is that what they're called?

Nicole said...

lol. yes. DON'T DO IT JOHNNY! UNION!