Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Set your DVRs immediately


...to catch this season's most delightful surprise: Pushing Daisies . The hour-long dramedy premiered tonight, and I fear that like its much-colorful, incredibly artistic and absolutely irreverent predecessors Wonderfalls and Dead Like Me, this wonderful show will last a single season. I truly hope to eat these words.

Pushing Daisies
relies heavily on the appeal of its main character, Ned (Wonderfall's die hards will remember him as Jaye Taylor's brother. I was too busy drooling over Fall's bartender, I forgot to notice how adorable Lee Pace is). Ned has the uncanny ability to bring the dead back to life with a single touch. One catch... if he leaves them alive for a single minute, someone else in close proximity must take their 'dead' place. Ned's Achilles Heel is that if he touches the person a second time, they die...this time for good. To complicate the plot further -- Ned's decided to bring his childhood love back to life after her untimely death. She's alive, but now what? Tune in to see. You won't be disappointed.

Pushing Daisies is not something America is used to watching. Like Wonderfalls and Dead Like Me, its rich in splendid art direction, smart dialog, and a plot that is just believable enough to kid yourself into being possible. In other words, its joyful escapism at its utmost best. Perhaps the producers should have sold this show to HBO or Showtime -- I fear for its safety on a major network. They tend to pull the plug too quick. What Daisies has going for it, unlike Bryan Fuller's previous collaborations, is a major advertising campaign and a great lead-in slot to the popular Grey's Anatomy spin-off, Private Practice. It was probably best in the 9pm slot, following Practice...but a Wednesday time isn't bad... at least the network didn't bury it on a Saturday.

In any case, before I bore you much further... PLEASE PLEASE WATCH!!! Wednesday at 8 on ABC. And do yourselves a favor: Rent Wonderfalls and Dead Like Me. Marvel at what good television is supposed to be like. ;)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you Nicole! I also tuned in last night, and I'm LOVING the sweet, Dr. Seuss-meets-Tim Burton quality of this show. I can see how this might not appeal to the masses though, so I really hope it catches on and sticks around! Btw, I'm absolutely smitten with Ned - holy hotness! Kudos to the writers for coming up with such an adorably quirky script. Fab show, my new Wednesday night favorite!

Anonymous said...

I LOVED the premiere of Pushing Daisies! I can't wait till next Wednesday!

Wonderfalls is the best. I was so upset when it was canceled after only a few episodes, and so ecstatic that they put all the episodes that were made out on DVD!

Anonymous said...

Was last night the premiere? I think we DVR'd it. I'll give it a shot, although I think I'll only get upset when it gets cancelled.

Johnny

Nicole said...

oh, i'm lovin' this crowd!!! helena, totally amazing comparison: dr suess/tim burton quality -- so true. it's a feast for the eyes. and lee pace is truly adorable. take emily's and my word for it and rent wonderfalls -- YOU WILL LOVE IT. i promise. and johnny -- sit down w/nuray and watch -- i'm sure you'll fall in love w/it, too!!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I'm busy watching Kid Nation at 8pm on Wednesdays. Now that's some quality tv right there.

Nicole said...

ok, who doesn't wanna own up to the kid nation comment? who is it???

Nuray said...

We'll be watching this weekend!

Unknown said...

just saw it, it's awesome!